Once you’ve said yes and announced your engagement, it’s time to start wedding planning.
The first decision you’ll need to make is selecting the date and time for your wedding. All other decision will be predicated on this date. So, where do you begin?
There are several factors to consider when selecting the date for your wedding.
- Do you have a career with seasonal demands you should consider?
- Do you want to honor or avoid dates that may have significance for family members (i.e. birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc.)
- Should you consider a non peak month (November-April) for budget savings?
- Are there regional events to consider (big college sports weekends, hunting season, large festivals)?
Traditionally, the time of day dictates the formality of the wedding ceremony and reception.
- A morning wedding, with the ceremony between 11am and 1pm, are perfect for a more relaxed, casual event. Many couples opt to follow a morning ceremony with a brunch or luncheon for the wedding reception. These options are often budget friendly.
- Afternoon ceremonies, noon to 4pm, allow the couple to choose a casual affair to something more formal. Wedding ceremonies in this time frame are often popular as they allow plenty of time to prepare during the day, but also stretch the timeline to allow for photography before your evening wedding reception.
- Evening weddings, typically taking place at 5pm or later, are usually the most formal. The later start also lends itself well to dramatic style and ceremony. Many couples that choose an evening wedding consider a First Look session to capture their wedding day photos.
The climate and location that you would like for your wedding day, often affect your choice for date and time. If your heart is set on an outdoor ceremony at sunset, you are likely looking for a summer date. If the autumn colors are what you crave, an early afternoon wedding allows you to photograph outside before the early sunset.
Below is the average conditions for Southeast Michigan:
Month Low High Precipitation
Jan 17.8° 31.1° 1.91″
Feb 20.0° 34.4° 1.88″
Mar 28.5° 45.2° 2.52″
Apr 38.4° 57.8° 3.05″
May 49.4° 70.2° 3.05″
Jun 58.9° 79.0° 3.55″
Jul 63.6° 83.4° 3.16″
Aug 62.2° 81.4° 3.10″
Sep 54.1° 73.7° 3.27″
Oct 42.5° 61.2° 2.2″
Nov 33.5° 47.8° 2.66″
Dec 23.4° 35.9° 2.51″